July Report

Wow! What a month!

I did a full read-through of The Conjunction, editing as I went - adding in some more snappy lines and a few extra fixups based on some beta-reader commentary.

I then did a hard edit using ProWritingAid. Goodness, that is a really useful app! Well worth the lifetime subscription! It pointed out a lot more things than I’d have thought, and by the last few chapters I was editing a lot of the things as I went, rather than waiting for ProWritingAid to point it out to me.

I also played around a lot with Scrivener to produce a final-ish copy of the document - with table-of-contents, front and back matter, etc.

I’ve now handed the complete novel off to the copy-editor/proof-reader and am eagerly awaiting their results (and the next round of editing) 😃

In the meantime, I signed up for the “5 day amazon ad challenge” (cos it was free). I set up a few ads - totally not expecting anything at all to happen, because: first novel AND only in pre-order. I got a few hundred impressions and only 2 clicks - which is fine as my expectations were very low, and I’m ok with spending a whole 80c on the campaign 😃

But I learned a lot about how ads work, and also got some great insights into writing an exciting hook, and even re-did my whole blurb with the knowledge I gained, so I’m happy I did it.

I also got back in touch with my cover artist (Burning phoenix covers) - firstly to add the series-name to the first cover, and also to build the cover for the second book - as I hope to put that on pre-order (even if the date is a year out) before the first book drops - just so people will have the chance to pre-order straight away, if they liked the first one. And to show them I do actually have other books in the pipeline.

Finally, I did a soft-launch to my friends-list - asking for friends that are already urban-fantasy fans that might be interested. I sent each of them the first chapter, as well as the link for my pre-order. Result: I got my very first ever sales (a whopping 5 whole orders) 😃 but hey - I am now officially a published author with real sales (0-1 is always the hardest yeah?) 😉

Goodness - reading back over that, I did even more than I thought!

For August:

  1. I will edit based on the copy-editing/proof-reading I get back - making the doc hopefully ready to go by the end of the month (so I can do a final read-through/fix in September).
  2. I really want to get off my arse and get a proper website, rather than just (ab)using blogger pages. I got a few months’ free trial for nerdly through an infostack bundle - and I mean to actually try that instead of just the pages here.
  3. Setting up the pre-order for the second book means I should start thinking about a blurb... which feels weird to me as I’ve not actually written the ending yet. But I’ve got ~3/4 done so there’s enough story that I know what I can use as a hook.
  4. I need to go over the content I have for things like my author-page, which I just threw together quickly. I also am using an ancient photo of mine - as it’s the only one that feels “writerly” for me... so I should probably think about finding a decent photographer to do an authorial head-shot that doesn’t make me look like I’m perpetually 20 (not that there would be anything wrong with that) ;)
  5. in August I always do a short beach-holiday with kidlet - just special one-on-one time for us (as well as being a mind-break from social media etc). So that’s important too. :)

In the meantime, I'm reading Midlife Witch Hunter: the next book in the Forty Proof series by Shannon Mayer. It's Paranormal Women's Fiction - which is middle aged ladies saving the world with magic. This genre is a bit hit-and-miss still, but Forty Proof is another series where I've bought every book on preorder as soon as it comes out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March already!

August report

November Report